Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario Wheel Monument Logo

 

Brubacher House Photo Gallery

Click on image to see a larger version

John E. Brubacher house, restored Mennonite farmhouse on University of Waterloo campus, Waterloo, Ontario, operated by Conrad Grebel College. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1977.

Historic Brubacher House - A Heritage House on the University of Waterloo Campus. Photograph by Kristin Bergen, August 2003.

Historic Brubacher House - Heritage Landmark Stone. Photograph by Kristin Bergen, August 2003.

Brubacher House. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1890.

Brubacher House. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1890.

Brubacher House Milkhouse. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1930.

A fire sparked from lawn mower engine, parked in basement of Brubacher House, gutted the interior and roof. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1967.

Fireman dousing the flames which gutted the interior of John E. Brubacher house. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1967.

Clearing the gutted interior of John E. Brubacher house for re-building. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1967.

Simeon Martin preparing to close John E. Brubacher house for protection from elements. Photo taken on north campus. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1968.

Simeon Martin preparing beam with an adze (special tool) for Brubacher house restoration. Picture taken in woods at Urias Martin farm, Waterloo, Ont. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1970.

Urias Martin hauling logs for Brubacher House restoration from his farm, Waterloo North. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1970.

Back of Brubacher House, upper and lower levels. Mennonite Archives of Ontario Photograph, 1980.

Front of Brubacher House. Photograph by Kristin Bergen, August 2003. 

The Brubacher House kitchen. The kitchen fireplace was the only source of heat in the house. Conrad Grebel University College Photograph.

Dry sink in the kitchen. Water had to be pumped, then heated and poured into the washbasin. Photograph by Kristin Bergen, August 2003.

Tea set owned by John E. Brubacher family who lived in Brubacher House 1850-1902. Photograph by Kristin Bergen, August 2003.  

The pantry. The corner cupboard was built specifically for the Brubacher House by one of the Brubacher families that lived there. Conrad Grebel University College Photograph.

Wood box in the mud room/pantry. Photograph by Kristin Bergen, August 2003.

Rope bed with straw mattress, covered with a coverlet typical of the late 1800's. Conrad Grebel University College Photograph.

Quilts and coverlet from the late 1800's, hung over a hope chest. Photograph by Kristin Bergen, August 2003.

This desk in the formal parlour belonged to a deacon from Vineland. Conrad Grebel University College Photograph. 

300 year old clock, the oldest piece of furniture in Brubacher House, sits in the formal parlour. Photograph by Kristin Bergen, August 2003. 

Brubacher House. Conrad Grebel University College Photograph, 2003.

Hours: 2-5pm Wed.-Sat. May 1 Oct. 31

Tours are also available by appointment at other times throughout the year.

Admission by donation

 

Brubacher House

c/o University of Waterloo, North Campus

Waterloo, ON

N2L 3G6

(519) 886-3855

bhouse@uwaterloo.ca

 

Brubacher House Photo Gallery designed August 2003 by Jennifer Toews.

 

Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario Small Logo
All material contained in this site is 1999-2007 by Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario
Contact: Secretary, MHSO, c/o Conrad Grebel University College,
140 Westmount Rd. N., Waterloo, ON N2L 3G6 519.885.0220 x24257
Search Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario Site Logo